War Office: Office of the Engineer-in-Chief: Papers
|Title:||War Office: Office of the Engineer-in-Chief: Papers|
The series contains reports, pamphlets and technical notes on training, planning and operations at home and abroad, carried out by Royal Engineers.
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
War Office, Chief of the Imperial General Staff, Office of the Engineer-in-Chief, 1941-1964
War Office, Department of the Quartermaster General, Office of the Engineer-in-Chief, 1941-1964
|Physical description:||142 files and volumes|
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
Ministry of Defence , from 1975
|Accruals:||Series is accruing|
|Administrative / biographical background:||
An Engineer-in-Chief was first appointed in September 1941, when he was made responsible for engineer operations, training, research and development of equipment, technical intelligence and the Directorate of Fortifications and Works, which was responsible for works services at home and abroad. He was responsible to the Quartermaster General for the work of the Directorate of Fortifications and Works and the Directorate of Engineer Stores (created in July 1943). He was responsible to the Chief of the Imperial General Staff for the other aspects of his work and in this capacity he was given the additional title of Director Royal Engineers in May 1943.