War Office: Registers of Recipients of the Royal Red Cross
|Title:||War Office: Registers of Recipients of the Royal Red Cross|
This series comprises registers of recipients of the Royal Red Cross decoration.
See also Division within WO
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
Ministry of Defence, 1947-
War Office, 1857-1964
|Physical description:||3 volume(s)|
|Access conditions:||Subject to 30 year closure unless otherwise stated|
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The Royal Red Cross was instituted as a decoration by Queen Victoria by royal warrant of 23 April 1883 for award to ladies who showed special devotion while nursing the sick and wounded of the Army and Navy.
In November 1915, the Royal Red Cross was expanded to two classes: First Class, or Member (RRC); and Second Class, or Associate (ARRC).
In 1917, arrangements were made for Members of the First Class who perfomed further outstanding services to be awarded a bar.
The decoration was specifically extended to the Nursing Services of the Royal Air Force in 1920 and to men in 1977. Award is now restricted to members of the Nursing Services of the Armed Forces and properly constituted Auxiliary Nursing Services working under Armed Forces control.