Department for National Savings, Bonds and Stocks Office, 1969-
Post Office Savings Department, Bonds and Stocks Office, 1956-1969
Administrative / biographical background:
The Bonds and Stock Office, Lytham St Annes, was occupied by the Department in 1956 for the start of premium savings bonds. Work in connection with the then Post Office Register of Government Stocks, formerly done by a branch of the Savings Bank, and since 1939 located in Harrogate, was transferred there in 1963.
The Government Stock Register was established under provisions of the Savings Bank Act 1880; six government stocks, with the addition later of three and a half per cent War Stock, were available to savings bank savers.
The Post Office Register was established under provisions of the War Loan (Supplemental Provisions) Act 1915, and other government stocks and bonds were available through it and could be held by any person.
By the Savings Bank Act 1929 the Government Stock Register was merged within the Post Office Register.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know