The Barnet District Gas & Water Company was formed out of three earlier gas and water companies which amalgamated - The East Barnet Gas & Water Company (formed 1866), the Potters Bar Gas & Coke Company (formed in 1869) and the Barnet Consumers Gas Company (formed in 1871). In 1872 the East Barnet Gas & Water Company absorbed the other two companies and became incorporated as the Barnet District Gas and Water Company. The main works were situated in East Barnet Valley and supplied an area including Enfield, Finchley and Friern Barnet. The works belonging to the Potters Bar and Barnet Consumers companies were closed down. On nationalisation in 1949 the gas undertaking of the composite company became part of the Tottenham Division of EGB.