Catalogue description C.F. Bridgman (formerly C. Parsons), masons, of Eastgate Street, Lewes

This record is held by East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO)

Details of BRN
Reference: BRN
Title: C.F. Bridgman (formerly C. Parsons), masons, of Eastgate Street, Lewes

Records of C.F. Bridgman (formerly C. Parsons), masons

Date: 1834-1959
Held by: East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO), not available at The National Archives
Language: English

CF Bridgman, Lewes, masons

C Parsons, Lewes, masons

Physical description: 98 Files
Access conditions:

Records are open for consultation

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by Hillman Sons, Vinall and Carter, solicitors, Lewes, on 14 April 1965

Custodial history:

Mr. N.E.S. Norris, Curator of the Sussex Archaeological Society, states that when studying some of the above records whilst they were in the firm's custody some years ago, he learned that originally the firm had accounts from the 18th century onwards and relating to the family of Morris. One volume which included repairs to Brighton Pavilion in 1816 was acquired by a Brighton bookseller. Six early volumes of accounts, some for the 18th century, had been disposed of some time before 1951

  • East Sussex
  • Building stones
Administrative / biographical background:

The surviving records of this firm cover the period 1834-1959, though it is believed that the firm dates back to the 18th century. By 1834 the firm had an extensive business and carried out work for the county's principal country houses, on most of the churches of the district, and in Lewes on the bridge, the County Hall, the Gaol and the House of Correction for the County Magistrates and on the town's pavings for the Lewes Borough Commissioners, besides contracts for many business firms. Masons work was undertaken for various firms of builders, and builders were supplied with such items as marble chimney pieces, slabs and stones, and with cement and plaster. The production of tomb stones was another side of the business and became increasingly important in the late 19th and in the present century. After the first world war the firm was busy executing war memorials for many parishes other contracts included the altar and stonework in the memorial chapel at Eton College in 1924, and the fireplaces for the extension of the London County Council's County Hall in 1931

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research