The Royal Commission transferred the records to Lambeth Palace on the completion of their work. These included minutes, report, publications submitted in evidence, and correspondence files. The Commission allocated a file for each correspondent or witness, numbered 1-862. However less that 10% of these correspondence files were transferred to Lambeth.
The service books, manuals and parish magazines, which were submitted in evidence and identified in the Commission's published report and evidence, have been transferred to the Printed Books sequence in the Library.
Royal Commission on Ecclesiastical Discipline, 1904
Administrative / biographical background:
In 1904 a Royal Commission was set up 'to inquire into the alleged prevalence of breaches or neglect of the law relating to the conduct of divine services in the Church of England and to the ornaments and fittings of churches; and to consider the existing powers and procedure applicable to such irregularities and to make such recommendations as may be deemed requisite for dealing with the aforesaid matters'. It was chaired by Sir Michael Hicks Beach. 118 meetings were held, the first meeting taking place in May 1904. The inquiry lasted two years, and a variety of evidence was heard from clergy and laity representing both high and low churchmanship. 164 witnesses were examined, many of whom represented the Evangelical wing organised by the Joint Evidence Committee of the Church of England League and the National Protestant Church Union, and the Church Association. The report, which was siged 21 June 1906, was thereafter published together with the majority of the evidence heard by the Commission.