|Administrative / biographical background:
Hetton Methodist Circuit started life as Hetton Primitive Methodist Circuit, created out of Sunderland Primitive Methodist Circuit in 1863. For records relating to this circuit see MC.Su5.
At this time the circuit included Birtley, Chester le Street, Easington Lane, Fatfield, Hetton Downs, Hetton le Hole, Houghton le Spring, Lumley, Middle Rainton, Moorsley, Murton, Murton Colliery, Newbottle, Ouston, Pelton Fell, Penshaw, Philadelphia, Shiney Row, South Hetton and Waldridge Fell.
In 1891 the Houghton Primitive Methodist Circuit was created and the following places transferred to it:- East Rainton (Middle Rainton), Houghton le Spring, Lumley, Newbottle, Penshaw, Philadelphia and Shiney Row. Birtley, Chester le Street, Fatfield, Ouston, Pelton Fell and Waldridge Fell were also transferred to another circuit. By 1892 only Easington Lane, Hetton le Hole, Hetton Downs, Moorsley, Murton, Murton Colliery and South Hetton remained in the Hetton Circuit.
As a result of the merger of the Primitive Methodists, Wesleyan Methodists and United Methodists nationally, the Hetton Primitive Methodist Circuit joined with Hetton United Methodist Circuit to form Hetton (ex-Primitive) Methodist Circuit in 1932. Finally, in 1944, Hetton (ex-Primitive) Methodist Circuit joined with the former Wesleyan Methodist churches in the Hetton area which were included in the Houghton le Spring (ex-Wesleyan) Methodist Circuit to form the Hetton Methodist Circuit. Places included in this circuit remain as they were in 1892.