Housecarpenters, Millwrights and Trunkmakers Company of Newcastle
Immediate source of acquisition:
Accessions 903 and 1200 (part); 2874
Administrative / biographical background:
An ordinary of 3 July 1579 constituted the Housecarpenters and Joiners, a body corporate. In 1589 the Joiners formed a separate company. Towards the end of the nineteenth century the Housecarpenters amalgamated with the Trunkmakers and Millwrights. The company originally met over the West Gate, but after 1812 they moved into a new building near to the site of the demolished West Gate.
Housecarpenters were anciently known as 'Wrights'.