Records from Younge Wilson, later Taylors, solicitors, Sheffield
The original bundle numbering made by the solicitors has been retained. Where there are gaps in the numbering, this is because the records with these numbers were not deposited. The numbers in the list are:
Samuel Younge of Edge End in Ecclesall, Sheffield township, Sheffield, founded the original firm of solicitors at premises in East Parade, Sheffield in about 1824. He took into partnership James Wilson, a member of a cadet branch of the Wilsons of Broomhead in Bradfield, Yorkshire. The firm continued as Younge and Wilson, later Younge, Wilson and Co., until 1960, although Younge retired in 1877 and thereafter the partners were mainly Wilsons. In 1960 the firm amalgamated with Porrett, Fawcett and Renwick, another firm of Sheffield solicitors, to form Renwick, Blandford, Wilson and Co. The firm later became Blandford Wilson and Co. and then Taylors Solicitors.
The documents reflect the firm's work for many local families in Sheffield, south Yorkshire and north Derbyshire. They include records of property dealings, including involvement in the building development of Sheffield in the mid-nineteenth century, and records relating to several businesses and partnerships dealing mainly with cutlery and associated activities and with coalmining.
The deeds were deposited in 1973
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know