ST. MARY THE VIRGIN, DEANE
This record is held by Manchester Archives and Local Studies
|Title:||ST. MARY THE VIRGIN, DEANE|
L85/1/1-4 Parish Registers
L85/1/1. Early Registers, 1636-1784
L85/1/2. Baptism Registers, 1785-1886
L85/1/3. Marriage Registers, 1754-1890
L85/1/4. Burial Registers, 1781-1887
L85/1/5. Banns Books, 1935-1972
L85/1/6. Drafts for Register Entries, 1783-1823
L85/1/7. Miscellaneous Papers about Registers, c 1802
L85/1/8. Confirmation Register, 1942-1965
L85/1/9. Registers of Services, 1886-1971
L85/1/10. Licences for Divine Service, 1877
L85/1/11. Notice to Curate, 1888
L85/1/12-20 Parish Boundaries (ancient chapelries and new churches formed from Deane)
L85/1/12-13 Horwich Chapelry, later Holy Trinity
L85/1/12. Property in Tottington, 1722-1788
L85/1/13. Property in Horwich, 1770-1783
L85/1/14. Westhoughton Chapelry, later St. Bartholomews, 1755-1846
L85/1/15. St. John the Evangelist, Wingates, 1857-1859
L85/1/16. St. John the Baptist, Little Hulton, 1877
L85/1/17. Christ Church, Heaton, 1878-1894
L85/1/18. St. Margaret's, Halliwell, 1906
L85/1/19. St. Thomas and St. John, Lostock, 1911
L85/1/20. Miscellaneous, 1900
L85/1/21. Grave Registers, c 1865-1876, 1964
L85/1/22. Addition to churchyard, 1796
L85/1/23. Dispute over Trees, 1777
L85/1/24. Property in Rumworth, 1799-1819
L85/1/25. Grant of Easement to Bolton Corporation, 1878
L85/1/26. Proposed Bridge over Railway at Deane Clough, 1891-1892
L85/1/27. Land adjoining Vulcan Inn, Deane, 1895
L85/1/28. Proposed Building Development, Deane, 1895-1898
L85/1/29. Maintenance of Deane Clough Pathway, 1910
L85/1/30. Income, 1905-1910
L85/1/31. Vicarage, 1848-1910
L85/2/1. Accounts, 1723-1845, 1869-1948
L85/2/2. Accounts and Offerings, 1859-1866
L85/2/3. Various Accounts and Collections, 1901-1917
L85/2/4. Cash Book, 1910-1914
L85/2/5. Deeds of Pews, 1786-1807
L85/2/6. Pew Rent Accounts, 1869-1884
L85/2/7. Memorial Hall Accounts, 1946-1973
L85/2/8. Extra Fees for Burials of Non-Parishioners, 1882-1886
L85/2/9. Annual Statement of Account, 1904
L85/2/10. Bill, 1771
L85/2/11. Bequest, 1665
L85/2/12. Churchwardens' and Vestry Minutes, 1818-1974
L85/2/13. Churchwardens' and Sidesmen's Minutes, 1904-1935
L85/2/14. Orderly Book for the Churchwardens of Deane, 1807
L85/2/15-18 Church Fabric
L85/2/15. Faculties, 1819-1923
L85/2/16. Repairs, 1818-1913
L85/2/17. Plans, 1813 and n.d.
L85/2/18. Organ, 1878-1887
L85/2/19. Inventory, 1895-1954
L85/2/20. Description of Stained Glass Windows, Apr. 1985
L85/3/1-2 PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL
L85/3/1. Minutes, 1920-1974
L85/3/2. Electoral Roll, c 1967
L85/3/1. Deane Institute and Gymnasium
L85/5/1. John Guest's, 1831-1832
L85/5/2. John Laithwaite's, 1760
L85/5/3. Henry Mather's, 1752-1787
L85/6/1-6 Deane School
L85/6/1. Trustees Minutes, 1786-1864 and Accounts, 1786-1868
L85/6/2. Accounts, 1874
L85/6/3. Trust Deeds of Property in Tottington, 1657-1878
L85/6/4. Letter about Trust, 1782
L85/6/5. Charity Commissioners Scheme, 1870 and Order, 1891
L85/6/6. Building of New School, 1881-1882
L85/6/7. Westhoughton School, 1745-1809
L85/6/8. St. Thomas's Schools, Lostock, 1878-1881
L85/6/9. Morris Green School, Middle Hulton, 1879
L85/6/10-20 Hulton School
L85/6/10. Managers' Minutes, 1887-1927
L85/6/11. Trust Deed, 1887
L85/6/12. Correspondence about Establishment of School, 1886-1887
L85/6/13-15 Disputes Between Managers and Vicar of Deane
L85/6/13. Dispute Over Collections at Services, 1889
L85/6/14. Dispute Over Dancing, 1894
L85/6/15. Dispute Over Services, 1894
L85/6/16. Dispute with Dr. Marsh, 1893
L85/6/17-20 School Property
L85/6/17. Plan, n.d.
L85/6/18. Water Supply, 1908
L85/6/19. Electricity Supply, 1914-1915
L85/6/20. Insurance Policies, 1904-1920
L85/7/1-2 STATUTORY DEPOSITS
L85/7/1. Inclosure Awards and Maps, 1798
L85/7/2. Tithe Apportionments and Maps, 1844-1853
L85/8/1- 7 MISCELLANEOUS
L85/8/1. Deeds, 1786-1790
L85/8/2. Wills, 1654-1825
L85/8/3. Hulton Family, 1836
L85/8/4. Westhoughton Landowners, c 1821
L85/8/5. Plans, n.d.
L85/8/6. Printed Papers, 1892-1898
L85/8/7. History, 1986
The Archives Department also has Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation Papers, c 1845, (MS f 942.72 R121 vol. 21); a 19th c. copy of a list of church goods, 1552 (L122/2/12/1); a 19th c. copy of letters patent of 21 Nov. 1538 making Deane a parish church (L122/1/10/4); extracts from the will of Thos. Nuttall of Rumworth making a bequest to Deane church Sunday School, 1814 (L122/7/1/1-3); and a letter from W. Warrington referring to work on stained glass windows in Deane church, 1845 (M383/2/18/3).
|Held by:||Manchester Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||8 sub-fonds|
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
The following records were transferred to Manchester Central Library as Diocesan Record Office from the Lancashire Record Office or deposited by Rev. R. B. Jackson in March 1982.
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The earliest reference to a church at Deane is in a 13th century deed. It was a chapelry within the parish of Eccles until 1538 when it became an independent parish, comprising the townships of Rumworth, Farnworth, Kearsley, Heaton, Horwich, Halliwell, Westhoughton, Little Hulton, Middle Hulton and Over Hulton. Horwich, Westhoughton and Little Hulton were ancient chapelries.
During the 19th century the ancient chapelries were assigned their own Districts and new churches were built, thus reducing the size of the original parish:-
St. John's, Farnworth, was assigned the townships of Farnworth and Kearsley by Order in Council, 23 July 1828, (London Gazette, 13 Jan. 1829).
St. Peter's, Halliwell, was assigned the township of Halliwell, by Bishop's Instrument, 31 October 1840.
Holy Trinity, Horwich, was assigned the township of Horwich, by Order in Council, 29 December 1853, (London Gazette, 10 January 1854).
St. Bartholomew's, Westhoughton, was assigned part of the township of Westhoughton, by Order in Council, 23 January 1860, (London Gazette, 25 January).
St. John the Evangelist, Wingates, was assigned the rest of Westhoughton by Order in Council, 26 March 1860, (London Gazette, 31 March).
St. Paul's, Walkden Moor, by Order in Council, 27 July 1863, (London Gazette, 28 July).
St. Paul, Peel, Little Hulton, by Order in Council, 17 March 1874, (London Gazette, 20 March)
St. John the Baptist, Little Hulton, by Order in Council, 7 February 1877, (London Gazette, 20 February).
St. George the Martyr, Daubhill, by Order in Council, 2 March 1881, (London Gazette, 4 March).
Christ Church, Heaton, was assigned the townships of Heaton and Rumworth, by Order in Council, 15 January 1897, (London Gazette, 19 January).
St. Bede, Morris Green, by Order in Council, 11 October 1923 (London Gazette, 12 October).
In 1981 by Pastoral Order, 16 September, (London Gazette, 23 September), part of Deane was assigned to Emmanuel, Bolton and St. George the Martyr, Daubhill, and part was transferred from St. George the Martyr.
|Link to NRA Record:|