Roman Catholic Church, St Gregory the Great Church, Stratford-upon-Avon
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the parish archivist Stratford-upon-Avon, 6 March 1990.
Administrative / biographical background:
Until 1852 Catholics in Stratford were served by a mssion under the auspices of the Benedictines of Wootton Wawen. In that year, they withdrew from Stratford and Bishop Ullathorne of Birmingham appointed a diocesan priest, Rev. A.J. Dayman, to take charge of the mission. Dayman established a church in a building in Rother Street, dedicated to Our Lady of Salette. Dayman left in 1857 and the church contents were sold by public auction. It was not until 1866 that a purpose built church on the Warwick Road was dedicated to St Gregory.
In 1878, the outbuildings at no. 8 Warwick Road, which was in use as a presbytery, were converted into a Catholic schoolroom. Although condemned as inadequate in 1881 the school remained open until a new school was built in Henley Street in 1884.