The first Birkenhead Preparative Meeting was held in July 1846 although Birkenhead members of the Liverpool Meeting had in fact met locally for at least 10 years because of the difficulties of cross-river travel. The original Meeting House was in Beckwith Street; a later Meeting House (now the 'Charles Thompson Mission'), designed by Lewis Hornblower, was built in Hemingford Street in 1855-6; this was in turn replaced by larger premises in Park Road South in December 1892. The Liscard Preparative Meeting was established in the same period, although its early records are now missing. The Meeting House was in Withens Lane. It was renamed the Wallasey Preparative Meeting in October 1948, and met for the last time in July 1973. The historical records of both Meetings were deposited by the Society in August 1982.