Clockwell Street Methodist Church Southwick, Sunderland
10 series + 9 files
Immediate source of acquisition:
Acc 1025 (part), 2793 (part)
Sunderland, County Durham
Administrative / biographical background:
Although an earlier Primitive Chapel had existed in Brougham Street, Low Southwick from the 1830's, by the 1850's membership had expanded to require a new church, opened in 1859 as Clockwell Street Primitive Methodist Church. Following the division of the Sunderland P.M Circuits in 1877, the church was in Sunderland Third (Monkwearmouth) Circuit (for records see MC.SU11), and later in Sunderland North (MC.SU1).
The Church was closed around 1964, and the building sold to Sunderland Corporation, with the proceeds being employed to build the new church in Mill Lane, opened in 1966 (MC.SU66).