Hallwood Smallpox Hospital, Grenoside, Sheffield
This record is held by Sheffield City Archives
|Title:||Hallwood Smallpox Hospital, Grenoside, Sheffield|
Patients 1950 - 1966
NHS15/1/1 Admission registers, 1950 - 1966
NHS15/1/2 Report books, 1950 - 1966
|Date:||1950 - 1966|
Wortley Rural District Council and committee minutes (CA529)
Sheffield No 3 Hospital Management Committee minutes (NHS37)
|Held by:||Sheffield City Archives, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||3 items|
Information in patient records is subject to access restrictions under the Data Protection Act, or may be subject to exemptions from the Freedom of Information Act. For further information please refer to a member of staff.
Sheffield No 3 Hospital Management Committee annual reports, 1957-1959 (Sheffield Local Studies 362.11 SQ)
|Administrative / biographical background:||
Hallwood Isolation Hospital was built on a remote site formerly owned by the Duke of Norfolk, and opened in early 1916 specifically for the care of smallpox patients. Deliberations about its building had been held by Wortley Rural District Council since at least 1909, but it was not until June 1914 that the Local Government Board approved the plans and not until November 1914 that the contract was signed for the building works. In December 1915 the Sheffield Medical Officer of Health obtained an agreement to secure five beds for Sheffield smallpox cases, at an annual payment of £100 plus five guineas per week per patient admitted.
In 1935 Sheffield Corporation again agreed to terms proposed by Wortley RDC that five beds could be earmarked for Sheffield patients, upon payment of the same annual retaining fee plus 15 shillings per day per patient. West Riding County Council, whose opinion on the proposed agreement had been sought by the Ministry of Health, had no objections to this arrangement.
In 1949 certain repairs and fitting were authorised, in order to enable the premises to be used in the event of an emergency, and the question of providing electricity was addressed.
As the first line smallpox hospital within Sheffield Regional Hospital Board (RHB) area, discussions about its upgrading were held in 1972-1973 and the hospital was to be closed for extensive work in 1974, with agreements in place with Birmingham RHB and Leeds RHB for patients to be admitted to the Catherine-de-Barnes Hospital in Solihull and Oakwell Smallpox Hospital in Birstall, respectively.
The buildings were sold in 1982.
The hospital was administered through the Hospitals Committee of Wortley Rural District Council (RDC). After the establishment of the National Health Service (5 July 1948) until the end of December 1948 the RDC acted as agent for the new Sheffield Regional Hospital Board. Then from the beginning of 1949 management, like other hospitals formerly administered by local authorities, passed to the Sheffield No 3 Hospital Management Committee of Sheffield Regional Hospital Board, based at Lodge Moor Hospital.
After the reorganisation of the NHS in 1974 the management of Hallwood Hospital came to the newly created Southern District of Sheffield Area Health Authority (Teaching), within Trent Regional Health Authority. Following a redistricting exercise in summer 1978 when the three districts (North, Central and South) were formed into two, the hospital was placed in the newly constituted Northern District. Sheffield AHA closed the hospital in c. 1982.