The main part of this collection concerns the Phipps family of Leighton and Chalcot in Westbury, and was largely accumulated in the time of Thomas Henry Hele Phipps of Leighton House (1777-1841) and his children by his wife Mary Leckonby, as follows :
1. Thomas Henry Hele Phipps of Leighton House (1800-1847).
2. John Lewis Phipps of Leighton House (1801-1870).
3. Richard Leckonby Phipps of Charlton House, Somerset (1804-1876).
4. Edward James Phipps, rector of Stansfield, Suffolk (1806-1884).
5. Arthur Constantine Phipps of Whitstone House, Somerset (1809-1867).
6. Charles Paul Phipps of Chalcot (1815-1880).
7. Emma Mary Phipps (d.1891).
8. Mary Jacintha Phipps (d.1841).
The second part consists of deeds and other papers of another branch of the Phipps family, formerly at Heywood House, later of Sussex. It is not clear how this came into the possession of the Chalcot family.
Phipps of Leighton and Chalcot
540/1 - 165 Title deeds
540/166 - 221 Estate papers and correspondence
540/222 - 260 Family correspondence
540/261 - 284 Family and personal papers
540/285 - 309 Public office, politics, and local public affairs
540/310 - 319 Business
540/320 - 326 Miscellaneous
Phipps of Heywood
540/327 - 344 Title deeds
540/345 - 366 Leases
540/367 - 378 Personal and miscellaneous