In 1887 James Deuchar started brewing at the Monkwearmouth Brewery, Sunderland, which had belonged to W H Allison & Co. The firm became a limited company in 1894.
By 1900 it had bought the Lochside Brewery of William Ross & Co, Montrose and the aerated water plant of Robert Emmerson in Scotswood Road, Newcastle. Brewing was concentrated in Montrose and the Monkwearmouth brewery was used for storage and bottling.
In 1957 brewing ceased in Montrose and was moved to the old Robert Deuchar brewery in Duddingston.
James Deuchar Ltd was taken over by Newcastle Breweries in 1959 and dissolved.