In 1834 a group of local worthies issued a prospectus for a Joint Stock Company to be formed for the purpose of building a cemetery to serve the city of Newcastle. Shortly afterwards a Building Committee was established. The shareholders first met on 10 June 1841 and elected a management committee to run the Company which was to be called the Newcastle General Cemetery Co. The management committee continued to be annually elected by the shareholders and operated under rules laid down in the Trust Deed. On 24 November 1958 the Trust Deed was amended and the Company became a limited liability company, run by a Board of Management. On 1 July 1967 the Company was wound up and the cemetery handed over to Newcastle City Council.
The cemetery which the Company was responsible for is the Jesmond Old Cemetery, also known as Jesmond General Cemetery or Newcastle General Cemetery.