The first regular Presbyterian Church in South Shields was built at the head of Mile End Road and Long Bank in 1718. In a trust deed of 1728 this was called the Low Meeting House. In 1778 there was a split in the congregation at the Low Meeting House following a dispute concerning who should be appointed Minister.
The splinter group built a separate church in Heugh Street in 1789. In 1858 this congregation moved to a new church in Mile End Road. Mile End Road Presbyterian Church and St John's Presbyterian Church (the successor of the Low Meeting House) united in 1942.