The ancient parish of Mottram in Longdendale comprised the eight townships of Godley, Hattersley, Hollingworth, Matley, Mottram, Newton, Stayley and Tintwistle. In the latter township was situated the ancient chapel of Woodhead. Mottram and Woodhead became a united benefice in 1926. Woodhead was transferred to Tintwistle parish in 1993.
Since the beginning of the nineteenth century the following new parishes have been formed:-
Godley cum Newton Green St John the Baptist, 1847
Hollingworth St Mary, 1922
Micklehurst All Saints, 1959
Millbrook St James, 1863
Newton Flowery Field St Stephen, 1891
Newton in Mottram St Mary, 1841
Staley alias Stalybridge Holy Trinity and Christ Church, 1840
Tintwistle Christ Church, 1838
Woodhead St James, 1856
Broadbottom St Mary Magdalene chapel of ease was built in 1890, a mile south of Mottram St Michael church.