Catalogue description Records of Saunders' Educational Foundation, Uckfield and Buxted

This record is held by East Sussex Record Office

Details of AMS6064
Reference: AMS6064
Title: Records of Saunders' Educational Foundation, Uckfield and Buxted
Related material:

For a history of the school see J Caffyn 'Sussex Schools in the 18th century' Sussex Record Society 81 pages 77-78, 252-253 and for a history of Grimmett's Charity see Reports of the Commissioners appointed...to inquire concerning charities and education of the poor in England and Wales (1815-1839) pages 139, 170-171, 352-353

Held by: East Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Immediate source of acquisition:

Documents given, 5 Apr 1989 (ACC 5240)

Administrative / biographical background:

Anthony Saunders, DD, rector of Buxted, by his will dated 31 October 1718, devised a copyhold tenement and land called The Red-tyled House in Buxted, to the Minister and Churchwardens of Buxted in trust to apply the rents and profits towards the education of a competent number of poor girls of Buxted to be taught to read and in learning the Church of England catechism. He also devised a customary messuage, schoolhouse and lands in Uckfield and Buxted to trustees to apply the rents and profits towards the education of six poor boys from Uckfield and six from Buxted in reading and writing, and learning the Church of England catechism. In addition the will provided a fund for the maintenance of Church of England schools in the parishes of Uckfield and Buxted, and for the provision of grants to enable local children to proceed to higher education. The latter included the endowment of apprenticeships

 

A school was provided in Uckfield, known in the 18th century and later as Uckfield Grammar School, but in the 20th century, as Saunders Foundation Secondary School. This closed in 1930, though the fund still exists and meets other obligations, including the aiding of Church Schools and the provision of scholarships. After 1876 the recognised aided elementary schools were Buxted National School, High Hurstwood Endowed School, Hadlow Down National School and Uckfield National School

 

At the time of the closure of the Foundation's school at Uckfield in 1930 the last headmaster, Dr McGregor Williams, made a list of the extensive early records of the charity from the 17th century, and in c1954 a copy of this list was supplied to the Historical Manuscripts Commission. These records cannot now be traced

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research