Catalogue description THE INGRAM LOAN

This record is held by Hillingdon Local Studies, Archives and Museums Service

Details of Ingram
Reference: Ingram

The Ingram Loan consists of the archives of a firm of Uxbridge based architects, W.L. Eves. The archives themselves are a vast amount of architectural drawings, mainly of Uxbridge and its immediate area. They date from between c1865 and 1955, and were donated by Mr John Ingram, a chartered surveyor, whose practice owns the archive.

Date: 1888-1950

List of boxes


All Uxbridge boxes have their contents listed, as do boxes A-D of the Fragile documents. Box E is not listed, but contains mainly Uxbridge items.


1) Numbers 1-60, High Street Uxbridge


2) Numbers 61-99, High Street Uxbridge


3) Numbers 100-200, High Street Uxbridge


4) Numbers above 200, and un-numbered premises, High Street, Uxbridge


5) Public Houses, High street Uxbridge


6) Metropolitain Depot and warehouse extension, Uxbridge


7) Uxbridge: Plans for streets A-E


8) Uxbridge: Plans for streets F-H


9) Uxbridge: Plans for streets I-R


10) Uxbridge: Plans for streets S-U


11) Uxbridge: Plans for streets V


12) Uxbridge: Plans for streets W-Z


13) Uxbridge: Plans for St John's school and houses


14) Uxbridge: Uxbridge and Yeading Isolation Hospital plans


15) Uxbridge: Glebe and Greenway Housing Estate Plans


16) Uxbridge: Items with no street location: Commercial and Council properties


17) Uxbridge: Items with no street location: Houses and Breweries


18) Uxbridge: Items with no street location: Churches and associated properties


19) Hillingdon: Plans for streets A-z


20) Hillingdon: Plans for public houses and items with no street location


21) Hillingdon Cemetery


22) Hillingdon: Plans for the Violet Housing estate


23) Hillingdon: Plans for the Violet and Avenue Housing estates


24) Ickenham plans


25) Plans for licensed premises, West End Road, Ruislip


26) Ruislip plans


27) Northwood plans


28) Hayes and Eastcote plans


29) Plans for the Royal Standard public house, Hayes. FRAGILE


30) Harefield plans


31) Cowley plans


32) Yiewsley and West Drayton plans


33) Yiewsley, West Drayton and Hartington plans


34) FRAGILE: Box A


35) FRAGILE: Box B


36) FRAGILE: Box C


37) FRAGILE: Box D


38) FRAGILE: Box E

Related material:

The Loan also contained many drawings for buildings outside the borough of Hillingdon, including a set of drawings of the old toll bridge at Hampton Court. It is a condition of the loan that those drawings relating to places outside the Borough be sent on to the relevant record office, and documents have been sent to Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and to the Greater London Record Office. There are also a limited number of drawings due to be sent to the neighbouring London Boroughs of Ealing, Harrow and Hounslow.

Held by: Hillingdon Local Studies, Archives and Museums Service, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

W L Eves, architects

Physical description: 38 boxes of material
Physical condition: Due to their age and the storage conditions of earlier times, many of the documents are in a very fragile condition. Those whose condition is extremely poor are kept separately, and do not appear on the main list. They are to be found in the 'Fragile Boxes' lists. All documents need to be treated with the utmost care.
  • Architecture
Unpublished finding aids:

Although the Uxbridge part of the Loan has been listed, the rest of it still needs to be done. This is due to its immense size. The following pages will give a guide to what the collection contains, but only the Uxbridge part will contain descriptions of individual documents.

Administrative / biographical background:

The Eves family firm were based at 54 the High Street since before 1868, and consisted of George Eves and his two sons, William and Francis. George Eves was born in 1816, and was listed in 1841 as a surveyor on the staff of Uxbridge School. He became the surveyor for the Uxbridge District Local Board of Health in 1854, until his death in 1892. William Lionel Eves was the architect who probably produced many of the drawings; he was born in 1867 and died in 1950. Francis, the younger brother, was involved in the running of the firm and was born in 1871, dying in 1928. The Eves family originated in Brixton, South London, but moved to Hayes in the early 1830's.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research