W E Harker's letterhead (see DX149/1/1) indicates that the company was established in 1826. It is difficult to find other evidence to verify this date, but from at least 1839 John Fenton had a carpet warehouse at 22 Mosley Street, Newcastle. Between 1855-1874 Fenton's warehouse moved to 40 Grainger Street West, and it was this business which was purchased from Fenton by W E Harker c1886.
The business expanded in the early 20th century, from 40 Grainger Street West in 1926, to 38-40 in 1931, and 38-44 by 1934. The rationalisation of the City streets changed the address to 29-35 Grainger Street in 1936. By the start of World War 2 Harker's were housefurnishers as well as cabinet and carpet sellers.