Catalogue description CHRIST CHURCH, DEANE RD., BOLTON

This record is held by Manchester Archives and Local Studies

Details of L107
Reference: L107

L107/1/1-11 INCUMBENT


L107/1/1. Baptisms, 1841-1863, Burials, 1841-1856


L107/1/2. Baptism Registers, 1863-1933


L107/1/3. Marriage Registers, 1844-1933


[L107/1/4. Banns Books missing]


[L107/1/5. Confirmation Registers missing]


[L107/1/6. Registers of Services missing]


L107/1/7. Parsonage, 1932


L107/1/8. Statistical Returns of Parochial Work, 1914-1919


L107/1/9. Returns of Church Expenses, 1910-1921


L107/1/10. Statutory Declaration of Rev. John Mercer Muzzell, 1906


L107/1/11. Newspaper Cutting re Funeral of Rev. J. M. Muzzell, 1932




L107/2/1. Faculties, 1920-1922


L107/2/2. Inventories, 1907 and no date

Date: 1841-1933
Related material:

The Archives Department also has Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation Returns, mid 19th century which include notes on the church (MS f 942.72 R121 vol 10).

Held by: Manchester Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

Church of England, Bolton Christ Church Parish, Greater Manchester

Physical description: 28 files.
Immediate source of acquisition:

The following records were deposited in Manchester Central library as Diocesan Record Office by Rev. R.J.N. Cook in September 1982 and December 1984.

Administrative / biographical background:

Christ Church was originally a Methodist Chapel, built in 1818 for the Methodist New Connexion and know as Ebenezer Chapel. Its minister Thomas Berry was ordained an Anglican in 1841 and the chapel was purchased by the Church of England, Thomas Berry remaining as its first incumbent. It was consecrated in 1844.


It was asigned a District from Emmanuel by Order in Council, 23 May 1844, (London Gazette, 3 June). Part of the parish was assigned to the new St. Paul's, by Order in Council, 9 April 1866, (London Gazette, 13 April).


In 1933 despite strong opposition (see L108/1/11/13-17) the church was closed and the parish divided between Emmanuel and St. Paul's, Deansgate, by Order in Council, 24 July (London Gazette, 28 July 1933).


The church was demolished in 1936 and the site transferred to Bolton Corporation for an Open Space in 1938 (see L108/1/13).

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research