TUNBRIDGE WELLS, KING CHARLES THE MARTYR PARISH RECORDS
These records reflect the activities of the parish of Tunbridge Wells, King Charles the Martyr, Kent. As well as records of the incumbent minister, which include registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, they also contain records, where they survive, of the churchwardens, the parish constable, the overseers of the poor and the parish surveyor.
See also the Speldhurst (p344) and Tonbridge (p371) baptism registers for further baptisms carried out at King Charles the Martyr church prior to 1807.
Church of England, King Charles the Martyr Parish, Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Immediate source of acquisition:
These were received as follows:
February 1977: p371e/1/1-10;
April 1987: p371e/1/11-12;
November 1987: p371e/1/13-33 p371e/2/1-2
August 1990: p371e/6/12
September 1998: p371e/1/34
[Note: p371e/1/2-10 are small exercise books and are probably the draft registers kept on behalf of Tonbridge and Speldhurst parishes. It would appear that those baptisms concerning persons born in the Tonbridge part of the chapelry were entered separately from those from the Speldhurst area. The provenance of the books is unknown; they were located in Surrey in 1977 and transferred per the Genealogical Society of Utah on 24 February 1977.
Administrative / biographical background:
Originally the church, financed through public subscription in the reign of Charles II, acted as a chapel of ease to Speldhurst, Frant and Tonbridge parishes. King Charles the Martyr did not become a separate ecclesiastical parish until 1889.