Catalogue description Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue EE

This record is held by East Sussex Record Office

Details of AMSEE
Reference: AMSEE
Title: Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue EE

Since it opened, East Sussex Record Office has maintained a collection of 'Additional Manuscripts' for accessions which are not assigned, or are not accrued to existing collections which have, a distinctive alphabetic reference based on the collection's title. The Additional Manuscripts collection is now known as AMS


Some of these accessions added to AMS have been returned to A2A as free-standing catalogues. The residue are being returned as a series of catalogues, each covering a range of AMS numbers. The summary list below covers all the accessions within that range, with notes against those which are the subject of separate catalogues or which have been transferred to other collections or other repositories. The main body of the catalogue notes only the reference and the fact of the separate catalogue or the transfer


Summary of contents


AMS6551 Prospectus of Braughton School (sometimes spelt Broughton), 212 High Street, Lewes; nd, 1930s


AMS6552 Manor of Sheffield: court books 1667-1803, and rental [1598]


AMS6553 Sale particulars of Oldlands Hall, Maresfield (formerly Buxted), 1949


AMS6554 Hastings and East Sussex Chapter of the Institute of Construction Management Separately catalogued for A2A


AMS6555 Lists of parliamentary electors for Rye Borough constituency; parish of St Thomas the Apostle, Winchelsea; Icklesham; Brede; East Guldeford; Iden; Peasmarsh; Playden; Udimore; 1872


AMS6556 Copy particulars of sale of the Hadlow Down Estate, Mayfield, with plan, Sep 1949 includes: Upper Spoods Farm, Broomfield Farm, Hadlow House and Farm, 1 and 2 Beech Villas, Judds Farm, Criers Farm, Stile Reed Farm, Little Broadreed Farm and cottages, Brick Kiln Farm, Keeper's Cottage, Cherry Tree Cottage, Packhams Farm and Butcher's Shop, Red Triangle Hut site (village hall), Broadreed Farm with 1 and 2 Harts Cottages, Pigsfoot Farm, Oaklands, Enclosure Wood and Brickworks, Stocklands Farm, Howbourne Farm and Cottages, Huggetts Furnace and Huggetts Furnace Mill Farm with Broadreed View and Derridge Cottages, Hastingford and Marchant's Farm with Hastingford Cottages, Ford Brook Farm, Stonehurst, Stockyards Farm, Horleigh Green Farm, Stone Mill farm, Coes Farm, Little Ease Farm, Streel Farm, Castle Wood Farm, Limney and Stone Farm, Pinehurst Farm, Inchreed Farm and Cottage, Owlsbury Farm and Cottages, Sandhill and Claylands Farm and Cottage, site of Brattles Cottage and woodlands


AMS6557 Second World War mortuary records, St Michael's, Eastbourne; 1939; 1942-1943


AMS6558 Sale particulars of Battle Abbey; 1901


AMS6559 Eastbourne Branch of the League of Nations Union, later Eastbourne Branch of the United Nations Association; 1919-1993


Separately catalogued for A2A


AMS6560 Jenner family of the Bell Inn, High Street, Uckfield: inventory (Jenner-Jenner); 1876; apprenticehip (Jenner-Bannister, grocer), 1887


AMS6561 Composite manorial rentals of manors of Ashburnham, Broomham, Broomham Parkgate, Broomham Allfrays, Burwash, Burghurst, Cowden, Dallington, Hasleden, Hastings, Ittington, Netherfield, Rockland, and Wartling, 1860; manors of Ashburnham, Broomham, Burwash, Burghurst, Cowden, Dallington, Hasleden, Netherfield, Rockland, and Wartling, nd, c1906-1921


AMS6562 Copies of documents relating to East Sussex at Arundel Castle: memorandum of lease of Ketches and Rosiers in Fletching and Hailey Park and the farm called Middleton Farm [in Westmeston] (Howard-Colstoke), 1556


AMS6563 Scrapbook relating to Polegate produced by A H Hurdle; 1865-1999


AMS6564 Deeds of houses and land at Lower Street, Ninfield (Hood-Carpenter-Hood-Morris-Parker-Ellis), 1726-1812


AMS6565 Blatchington Court School (formerly the Brighton Asylum for the Instruction of the Blind, the Brighton School for Blind Boys and the Brighton School for Partially Sighted Boys), East Blatchington, Seaford and the Barclay School for Partially Sighted Girls, Sunninghill, Berkshire; 1843-1989


Separately catalogued for A2A


AMS6566 Logbook of Broomhill and Camber National School, 1877-1902


AMS6567 Records of June Stone (née Broadbridge), a teacher at St Nicolas CE Junior School, Portslade; 1938-2000


AMS6568 Papers of George Kent (1907-1980), Chief Public Health Inspector at Chailey RDC; includes an album containing papers, photographs and newscuttings, 1928-1980; correspondence and invoices concerning the building and furnishing of Barn Acre, Juggs Lane, Kingston, 1935-1950; 1928-1980


AMS6569 Print-out from XA 79 of Bodleian Library MS Rolls Sussex: rental of the manor of Bishopstone in Eastbourne, Litlington, Chalvington, Bishopstone, Norton in Bishopstone, South Heighton, Denton, Arlington, Waldron, Laughton and Ashdown Forest, 1442-1443; account of the tithe of clergy in the diocese of Chichester, Nathaniel Powell sub-collector, 1686; court-rolls of the hallmoot of Stoneham in South Malling with tenements in South Malling, Southerham in South Malling and Ringmer, 1451-1460; enrolled decrees placing Bayham Abbey in possession of Hailsham church after a dispute with Robert de Blechington, rector of Old Shoreham, 1286; court-roll of Herstmonceux, 1379; roll of estreats of courts and assizes of bread at Rye, 1276-1277; customs of Pevensey, 1356


AMS6570 Papers of Margaret Elsie Hughes (1898-1981), relating to Queenwood School, Eastbourne; 1914-1925, 2000


AMS6571 Map of the enclosure of Seaford Down, 1759


AMS6572 Diaries and papers of the Verrall and Brand families of Telscombe, Iford, Rodmell and Seaford; [1687] - 2000


AMS6573 Copy correspondence concerning permission to build a cottage between Greenslade and Collards Green at Warbleton; Thomas Blatcher of Warbleton, a shingler, Thomas Pelham, Edward Mabbe, minister, Thomas Stolyon and Edmund Ward, 1610; with list of petitions for grants of waste in the Rape of Hastings, 1581-1610 and undated


AMS6574 Copies of portions of the Langdon cartulary at the Public Record Office relating to the foundation of a chantry in Winchelsea St Thomas by Stephen Alard, 1312


AMS6575 Copies of Land Revenue Record Office maps at the Public Record Office, 1737-1829: Sir Charles Goring's Nowl-land alias Know-land in Barcombe, part of the [manor of] Balneth, by James Day, 1737; The Chantry Lands & Mote Farm in Beckley and Peasmarsh by the Drivers, 1808; derelict land at Hastings by the Drivers, 1821; Crown Land at Hastings by the Drivers, 1821


AMS6576 Copy of petition concerning marshland in Iden and Stone in Kent at the Public Record Office, c1385


AMS6577 Papers of the De La Warr Cycling Boulevard, Bexhill, and Bexhill Cycling Club; nd, c1889-1897


AMS6578 Account for farming on the Searles Estate at Fletching, sent to Thomas Spencer Wilson, bt (1726-1798) by his bailiff Henry Cook; [Woodcocks, Clapwater and Laurences Farms, Hesbridge Mead, the three Paste Fields, three South Fields and Hatches Field in Fletching]; 31 Mar - 5 Apr 1788


AMS6579 Copy map of Heathfield Vicarage Glebe by Thomas Weller, 1784


AMS6580 Records of the East Sussex Ploughing Match Society; 1949-2000


Separately catalogued for A2A


AMS6581 Records of the Danehill and Horsted Keynes Nursing Association


AMS6582 Diary of William Harison of Folkington, 1827-1828; transcript of radio broadcast from Jevington, c1950


AMS6583 Records of the East Sussex County Nursing Association, formerly the Sussex County Nursing Association, and the East Sussex Nursing Federation; 1896-1984


Separately catalogued for A2A


AMS6584 Album compiled by Cecil Fawssett, 83 High Street, Lewes, concerning Lewes Fire Brigade, 1904-[1913]


AMS6585 Photocopies of correspondence between the naturalist John Ray (1627-1705) and Timothy Burrell of Ockenden in Cuckfield (1643-1717); 1690-1707


AMS6586 Records of the Lewes Cattle Market Company, [1845] - c2000


Separately catalogued for A2A


AMS6587 Raven's Croft School, Eastbourne: school magazines, 1939-1964; photographs of the school, nd [20th century]


Separately catalogued for A2A


AMS6588 Turnpike Trust and other documents from the offices of Raper & Fovargue of Battle, solicotors, 1766-1871


AMS6589 Deeds of 6 St Nicholas Lane, Lewes (Pellatt-Woodward-Langridge-Alderton-Goodjer-Isted-Newman-Pullinger-Venus-Lockett-Wycherley-Beach-Pollard-Jordan-Taylor-Ryan-Methuen-Thompson-Gorski), [1758]-1976


AMS6590 Number not used


AMS6591 Letter from James Hurdis (1738-1816), Seaford, to Vicesimus Knox, Tonbridge; 1786


AMS6592 Copies of topographical drawings of Sussex by James Lambert the elder and younger and Samuel Hieronymous Grimm, 1775-1791


AMS6593 Number not used


AMS6594 Records of the Union Club, Seaford; 1901-1996


Separately catalogued for A2A


AMS6595 Photograph album of Telscombe compiled by Ambrose Gorham; 1904


AMS6596 Pedigree of the Curteis family of Kent (subsequently of Windmill Hill Place in Wartling), certified by William Segar, 1619


AMS6597 Copy preliminary design by George Dance for Kidbrooke Park, Forest Row, 1815, with other copies relating to Kidbrooke Park


AMS6598 Number not used


AMS6599 Map of Sir Charles M Burrell's Hamsey Place Farm by William Figg, 1810 with additions of 1855 and 1856


AMS6600 Copy letter of Edward la Zouche, baron Zouche, as Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, to the bailiff of Pevensey concerning the case Sidrach Goodwin and others (on behalf of Elizabeth Ingram) against William Stone; 1622

Date: 1619-2000
Held by: East Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

East Sussex Record Office, Lewes

Physical description: 40 Accessions
Access conditions:

Open to consultation, unless otherwise stated

  • East Sussex
  • Land tenure

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research