The Honour of Clitheroe was granted to George Monck, newly created Duke of Albemarle, in 1661. From him it descended to the Dukes of Buccleuch and in 1884 was apportioned to Lord Henry Scott who, in 1885, was created Lord Montagu of Beaulieu. He created the Clitheroe Estate Company in 1898, which later passed the property to Ralph Assheton, later Lord Clitheroe.
Hon. of Clitheroe includes following manses : Accrington, Ightenhill, Tottington, Colne, Chotburn, Worston, Pendleton, Whitewell (Forest of Bowland), Forest of Pendle, Slaidburn and Wapentake of Blackburn