Catalogue description St Olave's Hospital

This record is held by London Metropolitan Archives: City of London

Details of H3/0LA
Reference: H3/0LA
Title: St Olave's Hospital
Related material:

For other records of this Workhouse searchers should consult the records of Bermondsey Board of Guardians (Ref. BBG) and the St Mary Rotherhithe Vestry Minutes.



Held by: London Metropolitan Archives: City of London, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Immediate source of acquisition:

Records of St Olave's Hospital, Lower Road, Rotherhithe, London, S.E.16 deposited under the Public Records Act 1958 in the Greater London Record Office, County Hall, London SE1 7PB, 14 August 1974 (Ac.74.68)

  • Rotherhithe, Surrey
  • Rotherhithe, London
  • Health services
  • Patients
Administrative / biographical background:

The earlier records listed here relate to Rotherhithe Workhouse which was situated on the site of the present St Olave's Hospital. The St Mary Rotherhithe Vestry Minute Book 1673-1746 held at Newington District Library has a reference to the workhouse being in the course of erection in 1729. Rocque's map published in 1746 has an unmarked building in Deptford Lower Road (renamed Lower Road in 1888) and this same building is marked as 'Workhouse' on Horwood's map of 1799. Rotherhithe Workhouse was administered by Rotherhithe parish until 1836 and from 1836-1869 by St Mary Rotherhithe Board of Guardians. In 1869 it became part of St Olave's Union. There was a rearrangement of the workhouse accommodation of St Olave's Union in 1869-1870 and Rotherhithe Workhouse was appropriated for able-bodied males. In 1889 the Workhouse was described as being 'dilapidated and disused' (Minutes of St Olave Board of Guardians, Ref. BBG 56).


The majority of the records deposited, however, relate to Rotherhithe Infirmary which was built in the early 1870's on ground adjoining Rotherhithe Workhouse in Deptford Lower Road. It became the infirmary of St Olave's Union by Order of the Local Government Board 31 August 1875. In the 1920s it was known as the Bermondsey and Rotherhithe Hospital. On 1 April 1930 the hospital was transferred fro the Bermondsey Board of Guardians to the London County Council and renamed St Olave's Hospital in the same year (Minutes of the London County Council 29 July 1930). It was administered by the London County Council from 1930 until 5 July 1948. From 1948 St Olave's was administered by the Bermondsey and Southwark Hospital Management Committee under the South East Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board until 1966 when it became part of Guys Hospital Teaching Group. Following the National Health Service Reorganisation Act 1973 St Olave's has been administered by the South Thames Regional Health Authority.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research