PARISH OF BRIGHTON ST WILFRID
This record is held by East Sussex Record Office
|Title:||PARISH OF BRIGHTON ST WILFRID|
Summary of contents:
PAR279/1/2 Baptism registers; 1907-1980
PAR279/1/3 Marriage registers; 1933-1980
PAR279/1/6 Confirmation registers; 1918-1979
PAR279/3 Service registers; 1901-1980
PAR279/7 Other records; 1904
PAR279/9 Accounts; 1904-1914
PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL
PAR279/14 Minutes; 1928-1980
PAR279/16 Other records; 1974-1977
|Held by:||East Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives|
|Former reference in its original department:||PAR279|
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
Records deposited by incumbent and PCC 2 September 1985 (ACC 4510), 24 September 1991 (ACC 5754)
|Administrative / biographical background:||
St Wilfried's, listed in a directory of 1915 as a chapel of ease to the parish church of St Peter, was an iron church which stood on the corner of Elm Grove and Whippingham Road. The Building Regulations plan is dated 20 June 1901 (DB/D 7/5327) and the service registers (PAR279/3) begin that year. A district of St Wilfried was created from Brighton St Luke by an Order in Council of 21 April 1922 and between 1933 and 1934 a new church was built to the designs of H S Goodhart-Rendel. the church closed in 1978.
Until 1873 the parish church of Brighton was St Nicholas, while the churches serving the newly developing urban districts in the parish were daughter churches or chapels of ease. The registers before 1873, therefore, contain entries of services performed at the various daughter churches, which were returned by the clergy concerned for inclusion in the main series. No indication is given of which church is involved, and this can only be deduced from comparison of the name of the officiating minister with the Revd G Hennessy 'Chichester Diocese Clergy Lists' (1900) and 'Crockford's Clerical Directory'. Some of the chapels also kept their own series of registers while continuing to make their entries in the main parish series.
In 1873 St Peter's church was constituted as the parish church of Brighton, and the parish records and administrative centre were transferred there from St Nicholas. At the same time, many of the former chapels of ease were constituted separate parish churches and began at this date, or in the following decade, to keep their own series of registers, independent of the main series.