The Ilford company's works were situated on Ilford High Road, Little Ilford, near the River Roding bridge. The undertaking was founded as a private concern, but obtained full statutory status in 1899, following Provisional Orders made in 1873. Because the company's area of supply was densely populated and despite fierce competition from the council owned electricity works, the Ilford Company's faced pronounced increases in demand as from 1900.
Therefore, the plant was updated regularly. An inclined retort house built in 1903 was enlarged in 1906. In 1908 and 1912 CWG plants were added. The old horizontal retort house was replaced in 1921, and operated experimentally until being demolished in 1923. Sulphate of Ammonia was produced at the works, and at a cheaper rate than that made at the Gas Light and Coke's Beckton Product Works. In 1922 the Gas Light and Coke purchased the undertaking, closing the works, but retaining the holders. The governor house was destroyed by fire in 1955.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know