Welwyn Garden Rifle Club, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire
Immediate source of acquisition:
deposited in the Record Office on indefinite loan in June 1987
Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire
Administrative / biographical background:
The Club was established in 1945 and originated from a Home Guard Unit. The Club was first known as "The Fourth Battalion Hertfordshire Home Guard Rifle Association". It was affiliated to the Territorial Army Association and the Society of Miniature Rifle clubs.
In 1947 the Club changed its name to the Rifle and Pistol Club and in 1956 it became the Welwyn Garden Rifle Club.
During the 1950s, as full bore ranges in Hertfordshire went out of commission, the Club's full bore activities declined, ceasing altogether in 1968. By the early 1970s the Club had firmly established its reputation nationally for .22 pistol shooting.
In 1976 the premises in which the Club's range was situated were taken over by the County Education Authorities and the rent was substantially increased. Shooting was suspended mid-1976 whilst alternatives were explored.