Church of England, St Michael-at-Bowes' Parish, Edmonton, 1874 -
Files DRO/070/1-14; 922 and 924 are not available for consultation, please use microfilms
File DRO/070/22 is unfit for consultation
Immediate source of acquisition:
Parish records of St Michael-at-Bowes, Southgate deposited in the Greater London Record Office, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB by the Rector of the Wood Green Team Ministry, 24 November 1986 (Acc 2350)
Administrative / biographical background:
The parish of St Michael-at-Bowes was formed in 1874 as a consolidated chapelry out of the parishes of Southgate and St Michael Wood Green. The church was designed by the architect, Sir Gilbert Scott, and built and endowed by Alderman Thomas Sidney of Bowes Manor who presented the first vicar. The church ran the mission churches of St Peter Bounds Green, St Mary the Virgin Tottenhall and also one in Tile Kiln Lane.
The Kiln Lane National School was founded in 1866. It was replaced in 1896 by St Michael's National School, Bowes Park, which opened in Tottenhall Road with accommodation for 377 children in mixed and infants departments. The school, later renamed St Michael-at-Bowes Church of England Primary School, was rebuilt in 1972.