From its foundation in 1845 until 1889, this hospital was run by the Wiltshire Court of Quarter Sessions, and records relating to its foundation and management are to be found listed in the Administration Section of the Court of Quarter Sessions handlist (A1/570). From 1889 until 1948 the Wiltshire County Council was responsible for the hospital and the minutes of the Visiting Committee are to be found in the W.C.C. Clerk's Office archives. In 1948 the hospital was absorbed into the National Health Service and it had its own separate Hospital Management Committee, which ceased to exist in 1974, when the National Health Service was reorganised. The bulk of the records listed here are financial, clinical and case records dating from the early years of the hospital up to recent times.