This record is held by Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies

Details of NR2
Reference: NR2

The United Reformed Church was founded in October 1972 by union of the Congregational Church in England and Wales and the Presbyterian Church of England. However not all the churches belonging to these two denominations agreed to accept the 1972 Scheme of Union. The records of those Hertfordshire churches which remained separate are catalogued under the reference NC.




NR2/1 Church Books


NR2/2 Church Meeting


NR2/3 Deacons


NR2/4 Registers


NR2/5 Church Committee and Organizations


NR2/6 Church Finance


NR2/7 Church Buildings


NR2/8 Sunday School


NR2/9 Choir


NR2/10 Membership


NR2/11 Charities


NR2/12 Church Magazines


NR2/13 Miscellaneous




NR1 Barnet, Wood Street United Reformed Church


NR2 Bushey United Reformed Church


NR3 Barley United Reformed Church


NR4 St Albans, Trinity United Reformed Church


NR5 Letchworth Free Church


NR6 Ware United Reformed Church


NR7 Royston United Reformed Church


NR8 Hitchin United Reformed Church


NR9 Radlett United Reformed Church


NR10 Wheathampstead United Reformed Church


NR11 Hemel Hempstead, Adeyfield Free Church (affiliated to the United Reformed Church


NR12 Bishops Stortford United Reformed Church


NR13 Harpenden United Reformed Church


NR14 Hertford United Reformed Church


NR15 New Barnet United Reformed Church


NR16 Knebworth United Reformed Church

Date: 1815 - 1973
Related material:

For Walkern United Reformed Church see D/EX838

Held by: Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

Bushey United Reformed Church, Bushey, Hertfordshire

Physical description: 258 files
Immediate source of acquisition:

Records concerning Bushey United Reformed Church deposited in the Record Office on 15 January 1976 by the Church Secretary.


Accession 1491

  • Bushey, Hertfordshire
  • Religion
Administrative / biographical background:



In August 1809 Mr Keen gave an outhouse on his land at Clay Hill, Bushey to be fitted out as a Chapel for Independents. This proved so popular that by 1812 the Chapel had to be enlarged to seat 200. Mr Capper offered land in Herkomer Road which was gratefully accepted but the parish vestry vetoed the plan. In the end Mr Capper erected the Chapel and the manse on his own freehold estate. The building and the land cost £400. The Chapel opened for worship on 1 December 1814. In 1815 a Sunday School was established and a library set up. Mr Capper put the Chapel, manse and its land in the hands of a trusteeship named "Village Itinerancy" or "Evangelical Associations" for the propagation of the Gospel.


On 5 October 1815, the Revd Thomas Gilbart was ordained the first minister. (For a list of succeeding ministers please see appendix). In 1840 the Chapel met a financial crisis finding that they were unable to find the money to pay the minister's stipend. Most of the income came from pew rents which were charged at £2 per annum.


A new chapel was opened for worship on the same site on 11 September 1850, but the building suffered subsidence in 1857 and buttresses had to be built to make the building safe. In 1865 a new organ was installed and in 1871 gas was installed in the church, for both lighting and heating. At the turn of the century the church had to be taken down and was sold for £70. Plans for a new church by Morley Horder were put in hand. The church opened for worship, again on the same site, on 9 November 1904 and had cost £5000. A new manse was also built at that time.


The Sunday School Hall was used during the day in the 1880s as an Elementary School classroom. The Sunday School Library was enlarged and became the church lending library. In 1902 a Fund was raised for the pastor and his wife both of whom were suffering from tuberculosis. The sum of £420 was raised for them (see NR2/13/1).


A Literary Society was formed in 1912 (see NR2/5/1) and in 1927 a Young People's Fellowship. The Falconer Hall was erected in 1918 as a memorial to peace, although a statue had already been erected on Clay Hill, and it was used for many of the church events.


The church celebrated its 150th Anniversary in 1959 with a variety of activities.


In 1971, the Church affiliated to the United Reformed Church.






1809-15 Preachers from Hoxton Academy


1815-18 Rev. Thomas Gilbart


1818-28 Rev. Wm Snell


1828-29 Rev. R Cope


1829-34 Rev. John Vine


1834-36 Rev. Wm Warden, M.A.


1836-44 Rev. John Fernie


1845-59 Rev. John Vine


1860 Rev. John Moses


1860-63 Rev. A H New


1864-80 Rev. J Basley


1880-84 Rev. W H Edwards


1884-03 Rev. A J Wood


1904-13 Rev. J Tatton


1913-14 Rev. W Lower-Carter


1914-16 Rev. O L Whitmee


1916-36 Rev. T H Cooper, M.A.


1936-46 Rev. C H Gay


1948-56 Rev. T Greenaway


1957- Rev. F G Ewen

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research