Rainsford family of Clifford Chambers, Warwickshire
Dighton family of Clifford Chambers, Warwickshire
Clifford Chambers, Warwickshire
Administrative / biographical background:
At the Dissolution the manor of Clifford Chambers passed from the Abbey of Gloucester to the Crown, and in 1562 was granted to Charles Rainsford, whose father, William, held a lease of the manor in 1526.
The manor passed successively to his son Hercules (d. 1583), Hercules' son Henry (d. 1622), another Henry (d. 1641) and to the second Henry's son, another Henry. This Henry, a Royalist, compounded for his estate and to pay it, first leased and then, in 1649, sold the manor to Job Dighton, his former guardian, who was already living in the manor house. The manor descended to Job's second son Henry (d. 1687) and then successively to Richard (d. 1738), Francis Keyt (d. 1769) and Lister (d. 1807 sp) and then to his nephew, Arthur Annesley, rector of Clifford Chambers (d. 1845). Annesley left the manor divided between his children who sold it in 1869 to James Roberts West of Alscot Park, but in 1890 the manor house itself was bought by Rev Francis Annesley, grandson of Arthur. It was sold in 1903 to John Gratrix and again in 1909 to Kathleen Wills who married firstly Dr Edward Douty and then Lt Col. G B Rees-Mogg. In 1911 she also bought from the West estate the land formerly belonging to the manor house, together with the advowson. After her death the estate was broken up, the house and home farm passing in 1951 to Col J. P.P. Taylor, who deposited this collection.