HORTON ESTATE CEMETERY, EPSOM, COPY BURIAL REGISTERS, 1907-1957, AND LONG GROVE HOSPITAL, EPSOM, POST MORTEM EXAMINATION BOOK
This record is held by Surrey History Centre
|Title:||HORTON ESTATE CEMETERY, EPSOM, COPY BURIAL REGISTERS, 1907-1957, AND LONG GROVE HOSPITAL, EPSOM, POST MORTEM EXAMINATION BOOK|
In the burial registers the letters 'a' and 'b' after the plot numbers indicate the relative position of the burial to the path; 'a' being nearest the footpath and 'b' further away. From c. Jan 1947 'c' and 'd' were also used on some plots numbers, suggesting that plots might now accommodate four bodies.
Annotation relating to the location of particular graves shows that there was a chapel at the cemetery. However, according to a memorandum of 1 Feb 1932 from the Chief Officer of the LCC Mental Hospitals Department to the Farm Bailiff at Horton, now inserted in 6336/1, the cemetery was not consecrated.
Although burial registers relating to service personnel buried at the Horton Estate Cemetery during the Second World War are held at Epsom Cemetery, Ashley Road, Epsom, correspondence inserted in 6336/1 relates to two Commonwealth war burials at the cemetery in 1918 and 1941.
For registers of deaths at Long Grove Hospital, Epsom, 1907-1938, see 6251/4/92-99. Those relating to The Manor Hospital, Epsom, 1909-1920, are held as 6282/13/66-67. For registers of deaths at West Park Hospital, Epsom, 1924-1962, see 6294/7/56-63. Records of St Ebba's Hospital, Epsom, are held as 6292/-.Records of Horton Hospital, Epsom, are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.
|Held by:||Surrey History Centre, not available at The National Archives|
Although the burial registers are open to public inspection, items 6275/2/1-2 are closed to public inspection for one hundred years.
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
Deposited by the Librarian of the College of Nursing at West Park Hospital per the Curator of Bourne Hall Museum, in January 1994. The reason for these records having been given to the Library of the College of Nursing at West Park Hospital is unclear, but they are believed to have been presented to the library by an audio-visual technician from Long Grove Hospital when it closed in 1992.
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The Horton Estate Cemetery was established in Hook Road, Epsom, in 1902 for the interment of patients from the Epsom Cluster of Hospitals administered by the London County Council (LCC). The survival of these copy burial registers kept by Long Grove Hospital, relating to the same cemetery and covering the same period suggests that while Horton Hospital maintained the official burial registers, the other hospitals which comprised the Epsom Cluster (Long Grove, The Manor, St Ebba's and West Park Hospitals) each kept their own copies. The fair registers kept by Horton Hospital were deposited with Surrey History Centre in May 1996 and are held as 6336/-. They provide a more complete record of the burial of patients from each of the Epsom Cluster Hospitals at the cemetery but, because they have not been thoroughly checked for accuracy, the registers which comprise the present deposit have been retained as a point of reference in case of difficulty. Searches for details of the burial of particular patients should, however, be made in 6336/- rather than in the imperfect copies held in the present deposit.
|Link to NRA Record:|