The church of St Stephen was erected as a consolidated chapelry at the cost of £7431 defrayed by Oswald A Smith; it was consecrated on 10 April 1880, and formed as an ecclesiastical parish on 9 July 1880 from portions of the parishes of East Grinstead and Hartfield. The benefice was united with that of St Mary Magdalene, Cowden, in June 1977.
An inspection report by East Sussex Record Office in September 1993 listed baptism, marriage, banns, burial and confirmation registers. These were lost when the church safe was stolen on 15th April 1997. The parish magazines, PAR 354/7/2, include some entries of baptisms, marriages and burials.
What survives consists chiefly of records created by the officers of the PCC.
Summary of contents:
Baptism registers; 1874 - 1997: see introduction
Marriage registers; 1880 - 1997: see introduction
Banns registers; 1971 - 1997: see introduction
Burial registers; 1880 - 1997: see introduction
Confirmation records; 1911 - 1997: see introduction
PAR354/1/4 Banns registers; 1880-1971
PAR354/3 Service registers; 1880-1981
PAR354/4 Property; 1918-1986
PAR354/6 Income of the benefice; 1880-1972
PAR354/7 Other records; 1882-1977
PAR354/10 Buildings; 1878-1982
PAR354/12 Minutes; 1880-1923
PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL
PAR354/14 Minutes; 1935-1988
PAR354/16 Other records; 1946-1991
PAR354/25 Hammerwood School; 1904-1905