For the papers of W E and W H Bagshaw of Epsom, subscribers to and auditors of Epsom and Ewell Cottage Hospital, which include annual reports, 1873-1910, and papers relating to the opening of the hospital, 1873-1902, and to the building of a new Hospital in Alexandra Road, Epsom, 1886-1890, see 6134/1/1-17. Financial records of the hospital, including salaries books and a superannuation register, 1939-1948, are held as 2865/4/1-5. Annual reports of the hospital for 1909-1925, with gaps, are held as 3967/1-8.
Records relating to named patients are closed to public inspection for 100 years (ref: 6323/6/1-6); 6323/2/1 & 6323/4/1 are closed for 30 years.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by Mrs Valerie Cox of Ewell in December 1995.
Administrative / biographical background:
Epsom and Ewell Cottage Hospital was opened at Pembroke Cottages, Pikes Hill, Epsom, on 24 April 1873. Patients were taken from Epsom and neighbouring parishes. The hospital was financially supported by subscriptions and donations but patients were also expected to make weekly payments during their stay. In 1877 the hospital moved to Hawthorn Place in Epsom. The town chose to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria by building a new hospital in Alexandra Road, Epsom, to the designs of J R Harding, the town surveyor, which was opened in 1889. The hospital was incorporated into the National Health Service in 1948. It closed in 1988 and was replaced by Epsom and Ewell Community Hospital in Nov 1990.