These papers seem to be those of Henry Lewis Doulton (1860-1931), who was the first chairman of Doulton & Co Ltd. They fall into two parts, the first dealing with the transfer of his personal holding in Doulton & Co., to the limited Co., with related papers, the second dealing with his estate at Ewhust, Surrey. There are also four miscellaneous items, two of which (letters from King George V's Private Secretary and Lord Granville) are personal. However, there are some later additions, and, in the case of the Ewhurst estate, some earlier items dealing with the purchase of Woolpits by his father Henry Doulton.
The papers concerning the firm have been divided into three sections. IV/124/1 consists of deeds and abstracts of title (many of them copies) of property in Lambeth, Holborn, Staffordshire, Lancashire, Smethwick and elsewhere, by which Henry Lewis Doulton sold his holdings to the new company, and gives a complete picture of the firm's property holdings and their value in 1899. There are also some subsequent appointments of Trustees. IV/124/2 deals in more detail with property in Lambeth, including the acquisition of Stiffs Pottery in 1914. IV/124/3 relates to the estates elsewhere, notable Rowley Regis. IV/124/4 is concerned with the estate at Ewhurst, originally purchased by Sir Henry Doulton but subsequently enlarged. The papers are incomplete, for example, there is a copy of the Charity Commissioners authorisation for the sale of Woolpits Farm by the Governors of Trinity Hospital, Guildford, and Trustees of Archbishop Abbots School, Guildford, but no copy of the deed) but there is some detailed correspondence on a dispute over rights of way. The grounds were laid out by the landscape gardener Edward Kemp in 1884, and the house, begun in 1885, included in Tinworth terracota plaque above the porch of Abraham receiving the angels, and a billiard room designed by Arthur Pearce, with a ceramic dado, chimney place, arcades and cormice. The house later became St Thomas School.