This record is held by Manchester Archives and Local Studies
M325/1/1 ANNUAL REPORTS, 1828-1947
M325/2/1-8 COMMITTEE MINUTES
M325/2/1 General Committee, 1873 - 1914
M325/2/2 Management Committee, 1914 - 1948
M325/2/3 Medical Committee, 1917 - 1966
M325/2/4 Building and Finance Sub-Committees, 1957 - 1967
M325/2/5 Prevention of Cross-infection and Cleaning Sub-Committees, 1959 - 1966.
M325/2/6 Ancoats Convalescent Home, 1904 - 1947
M325/2/7 Ancoats Hospital and Ancoats Convalescent Home House Sub-Committee, 1948 - 1966.
M325/3/1 MEDICAL REGISTERS [RESTRICTED ISSUE]
M325/3/1 Operation register, 1924
M325/4/1 Visitors' Book, 1922 - 1941
M325/4/2 Histories of Ancoats Hospital
M325/4/3 Book of signatures presented to Miss Maud Earl, 1945
M325/4/4 North Manchester Hospital Management Committee yearbook, 1950.
|Held by:||Manchester Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives|
Records containing personal, medical information about individuals are subject to one hundred years' closure (ref: M325/2/3/1-3; M325/3/1/1).
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
The following records were deposited by Ancoats Hospital in 1979.
|Administrative / biographical background:||
Ancoats Hospital started life as the Ardwick and Ancoats Dispensary which opened in 1828 in Great Ancoats Street and moved to Mill Street in 1869. As a dispensary it contained no beds: people were treated as out-patients or visited at home. The move to new larger premises in Mill Street in 1873 allowed for the provision of beds and the transition from dispensary to hospital.
In contrast to the poor law infirmaries at Withington and Crumpsall, Ancoats was a voluntary hospital, funded by subscribers and benefactors who were acknowledged in each annual report (ref: M325/1/1/1-5). The influx of 'Subscriptions from Workpeople', together with a substantial gift and bequest from Miss Brackenbury allowed for the construction of the hospital building in 1872-3. A Workpeoples Fund Committee developed which did a great deal of fundraising work for the hospital until 1948. In 1904 a convalescent home was opened at Great Warford near Alderley Edge, built using money donated by Mrs. Crossley, on land given by the David Lewis Trust. It was closed in 1967 by which time urban conditions had improved sufficiently to make two weeks' convalescence in the country no longer a necessary part of hospital treatment (ref: M325/2/6,7).
|Link to NRA Record:|