The Committee was formed in July 1899. Its objectives were "(1) : to secure the due enforcement of the existing Licensing and related laws : (2) to elicit public opinion, when necessary, to support the Authorities in employing the great powers they possess to reduce preventible evil." The Committee was disbanded in October 1958, and its records deposited at the Birkenhead Reference Library by the Chairman and Hon. Secretary, the Rev. Andrew Prentice, of 12 Kingsmead Road South, Birkenhead, in January 1958 (Library accession D 36887 - D 36915). (Previously classified BC V 643).