Outward Bound Mountain School - Eskdale
This record is held by Cumbria Archive and Local Studies Centre, Whitehaven
|Title:||Outward Bound Mountain School - Eskdale|
The archive so far deposited can be divided into two categories. Firstly, there are the administrative records of the Mountain School, including the minutes of the directors and trustees. There are also many correspondence files dealing with the acquisition, development and maintenance of properties such as the Gatehouse and Gatesyde. There are also papers dealing with the need to adapt to changing circumstances in the 1990s.
The second category of records is Wardens' reports on individual course participants. These are confidential and will remain closed for 100 years from the date of the course.
|Date:||1900 - 1998|
There are also a number of cinefilms, which are being evaluated by the Northern Film & TV archive.
|Held by:||Cumbria Archive and Local Studies Centre, Whitehaven, not available at The National Archives|
The Warden's reports on individuals are closed for 100 years
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
Deposited by Mr. J Lagoe, Helm End, Grasmere - 4 October 1999 W284
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The Outward Bound Mountain School, situated at the Gatehouse, Eskdale Green, opened in 1950. The School is part of the Outward Bound Trust, whose patron is the Duke of Edinburgh. The mission of the school can be summed up by the word of Kurt Hahn:
It is wrong to coerce young people into opinions but it is a duty to impel them into experiences.
|Link to NRA Record:|