The Royal Albert Hospital & Eye Infirmary was built in 1862 for £13,000, by subscription. It was mainly due to the efforts of Dr Thomas Woolcombe and Alfred Norman, architect and Mayor of Devonport, 1873-1875, although the government granted £3,500 towards locked wards for the treatment of "unfortunate women". Florence Nightingale arranged the chief wards.
Additions, including a nurse's home, were made in 1901, and in 1948 the hospital was amalgamated into Plymouth, South Devon & East Cornwall General Hospital Group as the South Devon & East Cornwall Hospital, Devonport. It ceased operating in 1981 and was demolished in 1983.