Wallasey Hospital for Women, Claremount Road, Merseyside
Immediate source of acquisition:
The deposited records have come from various sources within the Health Authority; the majority from the administrator of Victoria Central Hospital. The first deposit was received in Sep. 1979; the most recent in 1984. Accns. 712, 801, 1044, 1049, 1056 and 1091
Administrative / biographical background:
Founded in 1866 as the Wallasey Cottage Hospital. Originally situated in St. George's Road; moved to new premises in Claremount Road in 1885. Supported by voluntary subscriptions until 1948, when it came under the control of the North Wirral Hospital Management Committee. In 1952 the hospital became a specialised gynaecology unit and was given its later title. It came under the control of the Wirral (Area) Health Authority in 1974, and was closed in Aug. 1980.