Catalogue description Methodist Church: Mid Sussex Circuit (formerly Lewes and Sussex Mission circuits)

This record is held by East Sussex Record Office

Details of NMA/1
Reference: NMA/1
Title: Methodist Church: Mid Sussex Circuit (formerly Lewes and Sussex Mission circuits)
Description:

NMA/1/1 Quarterly meeting minutes

 

NMA/1/2 Circuit schedules

 

NMA/1/3 Preaching plans and directories

 

NMA/1/4 Circuit trust schedules

 

NMA/1/5 Sunday School returns

 

NMA/1/6 Other returns and membership records

 

NMA/1/7 Local Preachers Meeting minutes

 

NMA/1/8 Stewards Quarterly Accounts

 

NMA/1/9 Miscellaneous accounts

 

NMA/1/10 Registers

 

NMA/1/11 Manses

 

NMA/1/12 Correspondence : general

 

NMA/1/13-22 Correspondence re churches

 

NMA/1/23 Miscellaneous

 

NMA/1/24 Haywards Heath Primitive Methodist Station

 

NMA/1/25 Sussex (Central) Mission

Held by: East Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Creator:

Mid Sussex Circuit

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by or on behalf of the Supt Minister of the circuit on 27 January 1971 (A1254), 6 March 1972 (A1467), 14 and 16 April 1975 (A1850), 27 October 1975 (A1906), 30 October 1975 (A1907), 8 October 1976 (A2013), 28 February 1977 (A2057), 18 May 1977 (A2101), 14 September 1977 (A2141), 3 January 1980 (A2493), 1 September 1981 (A2731), 1 June 1982 (A2843), Apr 1983 (A4053), Mar 1987 (A4815); 24 Dec. 1991 (A5818)

Administrative / biographical background:

A Lewes and Brighton circuit (called Brighton circuit from 1810) was formed in 1807, which also included Eastbourne (see NMA/5/1/1). In 1825 Lewes, Groombridge, Hartfield, Duddleswell, Shortbridge, Ringmer and Ditchling were hived off to form a separate Lewes circuit which also, took in chapels at Eastbourne, Hellingly and Waldron which had been temporarily transferred to Hastings circuit in 1822. By the 1840s chapels at Willingdon, Pevensey, Uckfield, Boars Head, East Dean, Plumpton and Upper Dicker and Chiddingstone, Hever and Cowden in Kent had been added and by the 1880s Hailsham, Newhaven, Chailey, East Hoathly and Blackboys. In 1893 when the Lewes circuit was renamed the Sussex Mission circuit, the chapels covered were at Lewes, Newhaven, Waldron, Ridgewood, East Hoathly, and Blackboys, Eastbourne, Hailsham and East Dean having been hived off in 1871 to form a new Eastbourne circuit. In 1934 the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Sussex Road, Haywards Heath was taken in. In 1961 chapels at Crawley Down, East Grinstead and Lingfield were transferred to the newly formed East Grinstead and Oxted circuits (see Appendix to this catalogue). The Sussex Mission circuit was renamed the Mid Sussex circuit in 1964 and in 1968 the chapel at Cross-in-Hand was transferred to the Eastbourne circuit

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research