The records of the Liverpool Sheltering Homes for Orphan, Fatherless and Destitute Children, 1873-1983, (ref: D175) and their registers relating to emigration and legal papers (ref: D6/ii) are held by the University of Liverpool Special Collections and Archives.
The following material relating to the Sheltering Homes and Louisa Birt is available in the Liverpool Local Studies Library:
* L. Birt, 'The Sheltering Homes, Myrtle Street' in Liverpool Review (7 June 1902), pp. 1-2, ref Hf 050 LIB
* L.M. Birt, The Children Home-finder: the story of Annie Macpherson and Louisa Birt (1913), ref: H 920 BIR
* L. Birt, 'A Woman you know: the Sheltering Homes, Myrtle Street, by Mrs Birt' in Liverpool Review (7 June 1902), pp. 1-2, ref: Hf 050 LIV
* Will A. Bradley. Cartoon of Louisa Birt in Liverpool Review (7 June 1902), p. 1, ref: Hf 050 LIV
* Lord Derby (15th Earl), 'Speech at the seventeenth annual meeting of Friends of the Sheltering Home for Orphans and Destitute Children, Town Hall, Liverpool, 29 December 1890' in Speeches and Addresses on Political and Social Questions, pp.484-489, ref: H 825 DER
* M.E. Hipkiss, 'The Liverpool Sheltering Homes: memories of great work nobly done' in Liverpolitan, Volume 5, Number 10 (October 1936), p.43, ref: Hq 052. 721 LIV
* R.H. Lundie, Little Ben and his Guardians: Echoes from the Free Breakfast and the Sheltering Homes (1881), ref H 362.54 LUN
* S.A. Tooley, 'Mrs Birt' in Ladies of Liverpool (1895), pp.170-173, ref H 920.1 TOO. Includes portrait.
* 'The Sheltering Homes for Destitute Children' in Porcupine, Volume 16 (1875), p. 812, ref: Hq 050 POR
* 'At home in Byrom Street' in Liberal Review (4 November 1882), pp.5-7, ref: H f 050 LIB
* 'Mrs Birt's good work' [among the slum children of Liverpool] in Liverpool Citizen (14 January 1888), p.10, ref Hf 050 CIT
* 'Where Emma Welch Lives' [Description of the Sheltering Homes] in Liverpool Review (19 May 1888), p.10, ref H f050 LIV
* 1913 View of the Sheltering Homes in L.M. Birt, Children's Home-Finder (1913), p. 155, ref: H 920 BIR