The files listed below were formerly housed in the basement of the Silverwell Street offices. The original numbering system of the files has been retained.
Administrative / biographical background:
Bolton's oldest firm of architects was established by Jonas James Bradshaw at an office in Nelson Square in 1862. In 1871, he moved to the company's existing premises at 19, Silverwell Street, Bolton. John Bradshaw Gass, the nephew of Jonas James Bradshaw joined the firm in 1882 and another future partner, Arthur John Hope in 1892.
In the Victorian and Edwardian period, Bradshaw Gass and Hope were specialists in the design of cotton and other textile mills. Notable examples in Bolton itself were Eagley Mills, Croal Mills and Sir John Holden's Mill at Astley Bridge. They also undertook commissions for private houses and villas, such as Watermillock, Astley Bridge, churches, including Victoria Hall Methodist Mission, Bolton, many public buildings, including Clitheroe Workhouse, Bolton Civic Centre and Town Hall Extension, Padiham and Stretford Town Halls. Other projects included Manchester Royal Exchange and Manchester Institute of Science and Technology.