Heigham Hall 1836-1960, private mental hospital, Norfolk
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records Received by Norfolk Record Office on 18 October 1990
Administrative / biographical background:
This hospital was opened at Heigham Hall in 1836 (though the records begin three years earlier) by John Ferra Watson M.R.C.S. and William Peter Nicholls F.R.C.S. On Watson's death in 1886 it was carried on for a short period by his son Dr. Charles John Watson and then by J.F. Watson's daughter and son-in-law Mr. and Mrs Alfred Mottram. In 1904 it was purchased by Dr. J.G. Gordon-Munn who was succeeded in 1930 by Dr. J.A. Small. It closed in 1960.
The Heigham Retreat, a rival institution opened in 1829, was acquired in 1859.