Cavendish family, Barons Chesham, of Latimer, Buckinghamshire
Immediate source of acquisition:
Buckinghamshire Record Office holds the following deposits of records of this branch of the Cavendish family:
D-CH/A Deposited 1952 (AR 38/52) - see separate catalogue
D-CH/B Deposited 1957 (AR 6/57)
D-CH/C Deposited 1970 (AR 83/70)
AR 38/58 [Catalogue not supplied] Transferred from Warwickshire Record Office 1958 [This deposit has not been listed in detail. A summary box list compiled by Warwickshire Record Office is held on the receipt file for 1958 but it may not be possible to locate individual items. Much of the material is in a fragile condition and unsuitable for production.]
AR 96/82 [Catalogue not supplied] Deposited 1982 [Receipt list only]
Administrative / biographical background:
Lord George Augustus Henry Cavendish, 2th surviving son of the 4th Duke of Devonshire, married in 1782 Lady Elizabeth Compton, daughter and their of the 7th Earl of Northampton and through her inherited estates in Sussex (including Compton Place near Eastbourne) and Somerset. Some outlying Cavendish properties, including Latimer in Buckinghamshire and Keighley, Yorkshire, were settled on him and he also inherited the Holker (Lancashire) estate from his uncle Lord George Augustus Cavendish, to whom it had passed from the Lowther family.
Lord George Augustus Henry Cavendish was created 1st Earl of Burlington in 1831 and died in 1834. His grandson who succeeded him as 2nd Earl became 7th Duke of Devonshire in 1858 bringing various properties back into the main line of the Cavendish family. The Holker estate passed to Lord Richard Cavendish, younger brother of the 9th Duke of Devonshire.
Latimer and other properties were settled on the Hon Charles Compton Cavendish, youngest son of the 1st Earl of Burlington. Cavendish was created 1st Baron Chesham in 1858.