Unless otherwise stated, the records listed received from the Hospital in Oct 1979 (A2460), Oct 1986 (A4742), Aug 1988 (A5109), Sep 1988 (A5161).
Administrative / biographical background:
The East Sussex Asylum moved from its former site at Haywards Heath (now St Francis Hospital) in 1903 on the termination of an agreement with Brighton County Borough Council. New buildings were constructed on its large site. It was run by East Sussex County Council through its Visiting Committee (for Special Asylum Committee minutes see C/C11/14). For Clerk's Department files, 1889-1943, see C/C93. The Asylum was known as Mental Hospital from 1919 and in 1948 it came under the control of the National Health Service, exercised through the Hailsham Hospital Management Committee (for minutes see HE7, HE15). On the reorganization of the NHS in 1974 it was placed in the Eastbourne Health District and closed in Jan. 1994. The records are grouped by the administrating authority, East Sussex County Council to 1948, the National Health Service thereafter.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know