St Mary's Hall, Brighton; photographs, school magazines and centenary newsletter
St Mary's Hall was established by the Revd Henry Venn Elliott in 1836 as a Clergy Daughters' School. The Marquess of Bristol gave an acre of land for the building and was appointed as the school's first lay patron in 1849. As a result of this gift and further gifts from two other patrons, 158 sittings were reserved in St Mark's church for the Hall's pupils. At a later date the Reverend Elliott erected the galleries in St Mark's at his own expense to ensure that pupils did not deprive local residents of seats. For further records related to the school see the archive of St Mark's, Brighton PAR270/4/4. The main archive is retained by the school.